A new 1000 Rupee Note brought to the market by Nepal Rastra Bank on Shravan 7th, 2077 has a photo of a twin elephant born in Nepal. The photo of the African elephant that has been used so far has been removed. Even though the NRB decided to put a photo of a Nepali elephant in a thousand note in the fiscal year 2069-070 BS but new notes with a photo of a Nepali elephant has come in the market only since Shravan 7th, 2077. The twin elephants included in the current note are born in Chitwan National Park. Being twins, they were named ‘Ram-Laxman’.
When was Note and Coin Design Committee meeting held?
A meeting of the Note and Coin Design Committee was held in the month of Mansir 2069 BS as some new notes had to be printed in the market. At that time Governor Dr. Yuvaraj Khatiwada was the interpreter of the committee. Director General of the Department of National Parks and Wildlife Management Megh Bahadur Pandey was present at the meeting as a representative from the National Parks. Satya Mohan Joshi, the man of the century as a historian, was also invited to the meeting.
Even before the issuance of notes and coins, the Coin Design and Recommendation Committee under the coordination of the Governor of Nepal Rashtra Bank decides and submits the decision to the Board meeting of NRB. After the board of NRB approve it, the work of changing the visible photo should be submitted to the Council of Ministers . Only then the new note go into the printing process. Representatives from different fields including linguists, archaeologists, wildlife experts and historians are involved in the designing and recommending committee.
Nepalese wild life suggested instead of foreign wildlife in the notes
Pandey, who participated in the meeting, initially objected to the use of Nepali notes. He objected to the inclusion of foreign wildlife in the notes instead of the wildlife found in Nepal. Joshi also agreed to Pandey’s proposal. After Joshi, Governor Dr. Khatiwada and the deputy governor gave their approval, it was concluded that the wrong photo was used in the one thousand rupee note and it was decided to take photos of Nepali wildlife. A committee was formed under the coordination of the deputy governor to collect the photos. The responsibility of taking photos of the wildlife is given to the Pandey. He sent a photographer to Chitwan National Park to take photos of the twin wildlife.
According to the NRB officials, it was 4-5 years since the birth of twin elephants, which are considered very rare in Nepal. On the other hand, the elephant used in the old note was found to be foreign. That’s why it was decided to use the indigenous twin elephant in the thousand note .
Twin elephants are born in only half a dozen countries in the world and these twin elephants have been born only in countries including Nepal, Shrilanka, Kenya and Thailand.
Reasons of changing elephant picture in 1000 Rupee Note
The elephant on the outdated 1000 Rupee Note was recognized to be an African elephant and questions have been raised for using international elephants when Nepal had many elephants by itself. Then it was decided to alter the designs of the 1000 Rupee Note.
Within the 12 months of fiscal year 2069/070, the Coin Design Committee of Nepal Rastra Bank had finalized the brand new designs with an image of Ram and Lakshman, twins born in Chitwan National Park. Nonetheless, it took the around eight years to implement the new notes.
What are the features of new note of 1000 Rupee Note?
- Watermark: When looking at the note with bright light or with the help of torch light or mobile light from the back of the note, the shape of Rhododendron looks clear.
- The watermark in the shape of the Rhododendron is not printed on the paper of the note. It was made in the process of making the note paper. That is why it seems clear from both sides of the note.
- The English abbreviation of Nepal Rashtra Bank NRB is printed proportionally on both side. Some part of it printed on front and rest of it printed on the back off the note.
- The NRB of the note does not appear to be complete under normal conditions at the place where it is printed, but when the note is placed in bright light or when light is transmitted to the place from the back of the note, complete and clear NRB is seen. The NRB letter appears on both the front and back of the note.
- Safety thread: In the security thread, the NRB and the inverted reflection of NRB are written in sequence. Generally, only a few parts of the security thread are visible on the front of the note.
- It is also not printed on the paper of the note but is made in the process of making the note paper. When you look at the note with bright light or when light is transmitted to the note from the back of the note, it is seen that there is a safety thread in the entire width of the note. Also, the phrases written on security thread appear to be clearly printed even where the security thread is.
- The shape of Bhagwati, three circular dots for the visually impaired, etc. are the features that can be used to identify notes by touching it.
Why note are printed lately?
Why was the decision of 2070 BS to print new notes implemented only in 2077 BS? On the question, Executive Director of Nepal Rastra Bank Revati Nepal claimed that the process was not delayed. According to him, the notes come to the market within eight to nine months of the agreement.
He said that even though the notes were printed on time, it was delayed due to delays in arriving in Nepal. “The process was not slow,” he said. Except for a short delay at the Kolkata port due to the lockdown, all other processes have been completed expeditiously.
According to NRB officials, the committee had made the decision in 2070 BS, but there was a delay in the process from the decision of the Council of Ministers to the start of the printing process.